Our goal is to provide state-of-the-art training for Service/Assistance, Emotional Support and Hearing Dogs.
We work with you and your own dog towards goals you set. We start with basic behaviors and work up to specialized behaviors that will assist you in daily living.
An interview followed by an assessment are the first steps if you have a dog that you would like to train to assist you. We'll make a home visit to meet you and your companion to evaluate if your dog has the right temperament, is easily trainable and is happy working with you
We'll be happy to help you with the process. We bring years of experience evaluating temperament and behavior, but please remember there is no magic test that guarantees a dog will become a service/assistance/hearing dog.
1. Client will provide a letter from a Medical Doctor that has treated them for a named disability (ies) for no less than 6 months.
2. The disability must qualify for a Service Dog under the American for Disabilities Act.
3. Client must have the ability to care for, train, and manage a dog on their own or with assistance from a live in helper.
4. Client must have financial resources to cover the training and ongoing medical cost of dog ownership.
5. Client’s dog must have current vaccinations and a letter/form from their veterinarian attesting to the physical well being of the dog including, but not limited to eyesight and joint status.
6. Client must not have a history of non-violent behavior.
7. Client’s home must be dog friendly and have a secure, fenced in yard.
8. Client will complete training in a timely manner, allow home visits by trainer(s), attend scheduled training, complete homework assignments, and provide monthly training logs.
9. Client will agree to follow guidelines established by Island Dog during training and return for re-evaluation annually for the first 3 years client has service dog. There is no charge for re-evaluation.
10. Client agrees to continue to care for the dog whether or not it becomes a service dog or to find a caring home for the dog. The dog cannot be taken to a shelter.
11. Island Dog may, at any time, dismiss client and dog from the training program.
Service/Hearing Dogs may be obtained without charge from some organizations. A trained dog may also be purchased, although the cost is high , ranging from $2,500.00 to $20,000 or more.
The cost is reduced when you enlist Island Dog's expertise since you will provide the instruction as well as the dog. But it also means you must be willing to share your time, patience and affection with this dog. Our current estimated cost for 12- 18 months of training is $2,800 -$3,200, This is paid as you train. No "Up front" charges are required.
Initial Interview and Consultation $60.00
Assessment of your dog - there are two parts to the assessment
In home assessment $60.00
Park & retail store assessment $60.00
Evaluating and selecting a potential appropriate service dog $60.00 per hour.
Puppy Socialization Group Class (7-one hour classes) $135.00
Family Manners Group Class (7-one hour classes) $135.00
Foundations Group Class (7-one hour classes) $135.00
Intro to Gymtastic Tricks Group Class (7-one hour classes) $135.00
Home Skills Group Class (7-one hour Classes) $135.00
AKC-CGC Group Class (7-one hour classes) $135.00
Additional Group classes may be required prior to Public assess Training.
One on one Public Access Training $60.00 per hour
Other options are available if physical limitations prevent taking group classes.
Home or shelter visits: If total round trip mileage from the Training Center is greater than 15 miles Client will be charged .57 per mile.
We reserve the right to make changes to offered classes at any time.